“Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light.” – Vera Nazarian
Lesson of the Week
I think reading is really important. This is a bit of a personal love, but the joy of reading a great story is something I discovered several years ago. Even amidst the many distractions and entertainment inputs we have, between Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube (fake?) news, there’s something about closing the last page of a book, taking a deep breath, and letting all that has occurred percolate through your thoughts. And I don’t think this applies to the “great” works of literature alone, my favorite poems are ones that barely anyone would recognize, but they mean something to me. I think when a story resonates with you, it allows you to see something in a way you’ve never seen it before. It may make your heart skip a beat, frighten you, or make you laugh out loud, but a truly good story gives you a perspective you’ve never even thought to take, and that is incredibly important. In an age where few people take the time to really step outside their bubbles (not just watching *opposing view news-station* and making fun of it), the ability to see new perspectives is invaluable, and books are one of the best ways to learn that. So find something fun, and spend a little time reading.
Positive News of the Week
- Amidst political drama, growth in the US economy has been gaining momentum over the last few months, especially in consumer retail and factory industries.
- Federal Reserve chief Janet Yellen told a Senate committee that U.S. job growth remained good and showed signs of more increase.
- Jakson Follmann, a Brazillian soccer player who lost his right leg in a plane crash, is starting to walk again.
- Rumor, a German shepherd named after the Adele song, won best in show at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Tuesday night.
- Joe Maldonado, at age 9, has become one of the first transgendered children to join the Cub Scouts after the Boy Scouts of America changed its policy to accepting members based on gender identity.
- After revealing in late January that she is intersex, supermodel Hanne Gaby Odiele has become a very public advocate in support of intersex people and better practices for children born intersex.
Challenges of the Week
- Internal Challenge ∅ This week, try to think of a quote that has importance to you, and write it somewhere you can see it through the day.
- External Challenge ∅ This week, try to share a favorite book with a friend, keeping in mind what they would enjoy reading.